English Standard Version
We use the ESV on Sunday mornings. It’s a more literal translation, but the English has been adjusted to read more smoothly.
- New American Standard Bible
This is more literal than the ESV.
- New International Version
Less literal than the ESV or NASB. It captures the thoughts of Scripture better than the individual words.
- New King James Version
This is also a very literal translation.
- The ESV Study Bible
A good study Bible can help tremendously when reading the Bible for personal growth. We recommend this for its excellent translation, helpful in-depth notes, and well-written articles.
- The NKJV Study Bible
This has a great translation and the notes are also very good.
- Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem
This has been a best-seller among systematic theologies for several years now. Grudem explains all sides of Christian doctrinal issues in a well-reasoned, biblically-based approach.
- Bible Doctrine by Wayne Grudem and Jeff Purswell
This is an abridged version of Grudem’s Systematic Theology. It is very helpful and easier to read than most theology books.
- Beginner’s Guide to the Spiritual Gifts by Sam Storms
- The Cross of Christ by John Stott
- Death By Love by Mark Driscoll
This is an excellent resource on Christ’s work at the Cross. It’s written in the format of letters to people marred by sin and its effects.
- Desiring God by John Piper
This is Piper’s classic work on glorifying God by enjoying him.
- Fifty Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die by John Piper
- How to Read the Bible for All It’s Worth by Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart
- Knowing God by J.I. Packer
The book has been a classic among the many things Packer has written. It explains aspects of God’s nature.
- The Reason for God by Tim Keller
Keller, a pastor in New York City, wrote this book as a response to objections against Christianity. It’s very well-written and understandable.
- Who Made God?: And Answers to Over 100 Other Tough Questions of the Faith by Ravi Zacharias and Norman Geisler
- Finally Alive by John Piper. An excellent and very readable book about the doctrine of the new birth and what it means to be born again.
- The Prodigal God: Recovering the Heart of the Christian Faith by Tim Keller. One of the clearest and richest explanations of the Gospel.
- What Does God Want Of Us Anyway?: A Quick Overview of the Whole Bible by Mark Dever. An short and very understandable summary of the whole message of the Bible. An excellent resource to see how the Bible fits together.
- What is the Gospel? by Greg Gilbert. A short, readable and easy to understand explanation of what God has done in Christ to reconcile and redeem sinners to Himself. Valuable for both mature and new Christians and those investigating Christianity.
- Desiring God by John Piper
- Humility by C.J. Mahaney
- A Hunger for God: Desiring God Through Fasting and Prayer by John Piper
- Living the Cross Centered Life: Keeping the Gospel the Main Thing by C.J. Mahaney
- Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Donald Whitney
- Unpacking Forgiveness by Chris Brauns
- Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World by C.J. Mahaney
- When People are Big and God is Small: Overcoming Peer Pressure, Codependency, and the Fear of Man by Edward T. Welch
- Just Do Something by Kevin DeYoung. An excellent and practical book about finding God's will for your life.
Marriage & Family
- Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney
- God, Marriage, and Family: Rebuilding the Biblical Foundation by Andreas Kostenberger
- This Momentary Marriage by John Piper
- Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas
- Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God: What Every Christian Husband Needs to Know by C.J. Mahaney
- Sex and the Supremacy of Christ by John Piper
- When Sinners Say “I Do”: Discovering the Power of the Gospel for Marriage by Dave Harvey
Parenting & Children
- Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens by Paul David Tripp
- Big Truths for Young Hearts: Teaching and Learning the Greatness of God by Bruce Ware
- ESV Children’s Bible
It contains helpful articles and bullet points to help children understand the Bible better.
- ESV Illustrated Family Bible: 270 Selections from the Holy Bible
- Girl Talk: Mother-Daughter Conversations on Biblical Womanhood by Carolyn Mahaney
- Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Tedd Tripp
- The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name by Sally Lloyd-Jones. Excellent for reading to your younger children.
- Mighty Acts of God by Starr Meade. Another good book to read out loud to your younger children.
Living on Mission with Jesus
- Business for the Glory of God: The Bible’s Teaching on the Moral Goodness of Business by Wayne Grudem
- Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God by J.I. Packer
- The Gospel and Personal Evangelism by Mark Dever
- Let the Nations Be Glad by John Piper
- The Radical Reformission by Mark Driscoll
- Money, Possessions, and Eternity by Randy Alcorn
- The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
- The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving by Randy Alcorn
- A History of Christianity by Paul Johnson
- The Reformation: How a Monk and a Mallet Changed the World by Stephen Nichols
This is a short but informative look at the Reformation. It’s well-written and very interesting.
- Turning Points: Decisive Moments in the History of Christianity by Mark Knoll
How to Read and Study the Bible
- Living by the Book by Howard Hendricks. An excellent book on how to do Bible study for yourself.
- How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart.
- What Does God Want Of Us Anyway? A Quick Overview of the Whole Bible by Mark Dever. An short and very understandable summary of the whole message of the Bible. An excellent resource to see how the Bible fits together.
Dealing with Suffering
- If God is Good: Faith in the Midst of Suffering and Evil by Randy Alcorn. A very extensive, biblical and pastoral look at the issues of suffering and evil.
- Spectacular Sins and their Global Purpose in the Glory of Christ by John Piper.
- Suffering and the Sovereignty of God edited by John Piper and Justin Taylor.
- Bible Gateway (a variety of Bible translations available for free)
- Bible Reading Plans from Discipleship Journal
- ESV Online
- Girl Talk (“conversations on biblical womanhood and other fun stuff”)
- Boundless Webzine (helpful articles and podcasts for twenty-somethings from Focus On the Family)
- Family Life
- Desiring God (helpful resources from the ministry of John Piper)
- The Resurgence (articles, music, books, podcasts, etc.)
- Enjoying God Ministries
Helpful Books, Articles, etc.
- Christian Classics Ethereal Library (free books available in downloadable format)
- Crossway Publishers (well-written, biblically-grounded books and the English Standard Version of the Bible)
- The Reason for God (apologetics based on Tim Keller’s book of the same name)
- Ravi Zacharias International Ministries (apologetics resources from Ravi Zacharias)
- CCEF (Christian counseling for various issues)