Nehemiah 7:66-73, “Ministry, Money, and the Resurrection”
Passage: Nehemiah 7:66–7:73
In this message we look at the issue of money, ministry and giving. The New Testament calls us to a life of continual generosity, but not so that we meet some standard or fulfill a law, but rather as our joyful response to the Resurrection and Gospel of Jesus.
Two underlying truths:
1. We live in a culture that seductively teaches us to be self-absorbed.
2. Nothing we have is really ours.
- 1 Corinthians 4:7
- Psalm 24:1-2
- Colossians 1:16
2 Corinthians 8:1-15
1. They gave themselves first.
2. Paul doesn’t make this into a law. We shouldn’t either.
3. Our giving is acceptable based on our hearts, not our amounts.
- Mark 12:41-44
WHY SHOULD WE BE GENEROUS?
1. For the mission.
2. Because it is our only legitimate response to the Resurrection.
“And still he seeks the fellowship of His people, and sends them both joy and sorrow, to detach their hands from the things of this world and attach their hands to Himself.” –J.I. Packer
More in Nehemiah
December 6, 2009Nehemiah 13:1-31, “Messy Maintenance”
November 22, 2009Nehemiah 12:1-47, “Thanksgiving, Process, and Providence”
November 15, 2009Nehemiah 11:1-36, “A People on Mission”