Ephesians 2:1-10, “But God”
Passage: Ephesians 2:1–2:10
Intro: Taking a break out of our Nehemiah series, we pause on this water baptism Sunday to remind ourselves of the Good News of the Gospel. In Ephesians 2:1-10, we find one of the clearest and most thorough explanations of what God did for us in Christ.
Text: Ephesians 2:1-10
1. WHAT IS OUR CONDITION BEFORE WE COME TO CHRIST?
a). We are spiritually dead before we come to Christ.
- Ephesians 2:1-3, Romans 5:12, Romans 6:23
b). The consequence of our rebellion is God’s righteous wrath.
- Romans 5:6-9
c). Why is this so important to realize?
- Because many Christians treat God’s salvation as merely help rather than rescue. And, many that are not Christians do not understand their guilt and accountability before a completely righteous and holy God.
2. HOW DOES GOD SAVE US?
a). Through Jesus’ work on the Cross.
- Romans 3:21-26
- “Propitiation” – the idea that Jesus in his substitutionary work on the Cross for us completely absorbs and satisfies the wrath of God on behalf of those who believe and turns that wrath into favor.
b). Through the proclamation and hearing of the Gospel.
- Romans 1:16, 1 Corinthians 1:21, 1 Peter 1:3, 23
c). Through our response of faith.
- Saving faith includes KNOWLEDGE, AGREEMENT AND TRUST
d). We are saved in Christ by grace through faith.
3. FOR WHAT DOES GOD SAVE US?
a). His glory and our joy
- Ephesians 2:10, 1 Peter 1:8-9
More in Individual Messages
January 17, 20212 Chronicles 33:1-13, “A Most Wicked King and the Most Gracious God”
January 10, 2021“What the World Needs from Us”
January 3, 2021“Living by God’s Word”