1 Thess. 5:23-28, Sanctification
Topic: Biblical Passage: 1 Thessalonians 5:23–5:28
Here are some questions to consider as you study 1 Thessalonians 5:23–28:
(1) What is God's role in sanctification (v.23)? What is our role?
(2) Identify areas in your life that you desire spiritual growth. What are they? Be specific and transparent. What steps can you take to purse growth in these areas?
(3) Are you pursuing sanctification in your own strength or motivated by the fact that God himself sanctifies you completely? How would you know?
(4) In what ways would the reminder of God's faithfulness in v.24 be an encouragement to the Thessalonians (especially as they are pursing sanctification)?
(5) The Bible speaks of sanctification in three "stages": we have been sanctified (e.g., 1 Cor 6:11); we are being sanctified (the way we usually think of sanctification); we will be sanctified (e.g., Heb 12:23). How does this distinction help you understand the Christian life better?
(6) What might Paul be trying to communicate by using family terminology thee times ("brothers" is repeated in vv. 25, 26, 27) as he ends his letter?
(7) Think back to your study of 1 Thessalonians. What are the main things you have taken away from this letter?
More in First Thessalonians
August 23, 20151 Thess. 5:12-22, Practical Instruction for Life Together
August 16, 20151 Thess. 5:1-11, Taking Life Seriously
August 9, 20151 Thess. 4:9-18, Resurrection Hope