Announcements, Sept. 8, 2017
This Sunday we venture into Romans 6, one of the most important chapters on sanctification and the Christian life in all of the Bible. Up to this point, Paul has been establishing the central truth of justification by faith alone in Christ alone. No amount of good works or Law-following can save us. Rather, we are saved by God’s free gift of grace. Of course, this exposed Paul to the charge of antinomianism (“against the law”)—meaning that his teaching would actually promote sin! After all, he himself said that abounding sin brings abounding grace.
So, in Romans 6 Paul sets out to correct this wrong understanding. Instead of encouraging more sin, a true understanding of the gospel means that we are not only free from the penalty of sin but that we are enabled to break the power of sin as we obey Jesus, our new Master.
We’ll cover the first few verses this Sunday, but I encourage you over the next few weeks to read all of Romans 6 again and again. Get familiar with the flow of Paul’s argument. Consider memorizing the chapter. Pray with me that God would use this portion of Romans to make us more like Jesus.
Looking forward to seeing you all!
“One Another” Member Meeting (Sept. 10, 6–7:30 p.m.) || CrossPointe's members gather bi-monthly for updates and prayer. Childcare is always provided! At this meeting, we’ll be voting to affirm Jay Hearn as an elder.
Sunday Morning Classes (Sundays, 9 a.m., starting Sept. 17) || We’re offering three classes this Fall (w/childcare)! RSVP to Leah Carr.
- How to Read the Bible: taught by Robert Ward and Joseph Davis
- Deepen Discipleship: preparing Christians for both local and global disciple-making, taught by Springer Cain and Josh Hutchinson
- The Person & Work of Christ: taught by Reuben Moyana
Ladies’ Lunch (Sept. 19, 11:30 a.m.) || Join us for lunch ($5 Chicken Salad Chick) as we hear from God’s Word. Childcare starts at 9:30 a.m. RSVP to Leah Carr.
Midweek Fellowship Returning (Sept. 20, 5:45–7:30 p.m.) || Mark your calendars for eight weeks of MWF focused on the Reformation!
Starting Pointe Membership Class (Sept. 23–24) || Learn more about CrossPointe and what it means to be a member! This two-part class meets on Sat., Sept. 23 (9 a.m.–noon), and Sun., Sept. 24 (5–7:30 p.m.). Childcare is provided. Sign up by e-mailing Robert Ward.
Reformation Columbus w/Voddie Baucham (Oct. 14, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.) || Join us at CrossPointe for an all-day conference on the Reformation featuring several guest speakers including Voddie Baucham. Admission costs $20/person and includes lunch and a t-shirt. Childcare will also be provided. Register online here!
Women’s Studies || There are several studies this Fall! Books are available in the Resource Room.
- Isaiah (every other Monday, 7 p.m., starting Sept. 18): taught by Anne Lyle Illges and Meghan Brooks at the home of John & Lyle Illges; RSVP here!
- Genesis (Tues., 10–11:30 a.m., Sept. 5–Nov. 7): taught by Elayne Saucier at CrossPointe; childcare available; RSVP here!
- The Sermon on the Mount (Tues., 6 p.m., Sept. 12–Oct. 24): taught by Melany Raborn at CrossPointe; RSVP here!
- James (Thurs., 9:30 a.m., Aug. 31–Nov. 16): taught by Karen Rosa at CrossPointe; childcare available; RSVP here!
Men’s Studies || There are a couple of studies this Fall! Books are available in the Resource Room.
- Ephesians (Tues., 7–8 a.m., starting Aug. 29): taught by Robert Ward at CrossPointe; RSVP here!
- Parables by John MacArthur (Thurs., 7–8 a.m., starting Sept. 7): taught by Cecil Cheves at CrossPointe; RSVP here!