Sunday: “Manhood, Womanhood & the Glory of God”
While some passages of Scripture are hard to understand or hard to swallow, some are both. Such is the case with this week’s text, 1 Corinthians 11:2-16, which examines how men and women should complement rather than compete with each other.
I’ve eagerly anticipated working through this passage for some time now. I say it every week, but this is a text you must read and wrestle with before Sunday. Here are a few things you can do to prepare your mind and heart for Sunday:
- Pray that the sermon’s effect would go beyond good doctrine to hearts that delight in God’s ways.
- Pray and jot down questions as you read 1 Corinthians 11:2-16.
- Read Ephesians 5:21-33 (another important text about the complementary roles of men and women).
- Read Genesis 1 & 2 (the foundation for Paul’s main point).
- Read the Danvers Statement on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood.
Finally, although this is a huge issue that we as a church need to get right, ultimately it is all about Jesus and the Gospel. So let’s roll up our sleeves, dig into the Word and keep our eyes on the Cross.
Grace and peace,