Nehemiah 13:1-31, “Messy Maintenance”
Passage: Nehemiah 13:1–13:31
Intro: In the last chapter of Nehemiah, we read how the struggle for sanctification continues. Nehemiah had to take leave and check back in with his employer Artaxerxes. When he returns to Jerusalem he finds that things have gone down hill without his supervision, to say the least. In this message, we unpack three mistakes the people made that we make as well, as well as three observations that we should remember as we struggle for our own sanctification in Christ.
Text: Nehemiah 13:1-31
THREE MISTAKES OF THE PEOPLE IN NEHEMIAH 13
- They blended with the world around them.
- Culture was influencing them more than they were influencing culture.
- Question: What Tobiah’s have we let into our chambers?
- Their priorities were all personal.
- They horded their resources.
- They ignored the Sabbath essentially telling God they could handle it on their own.
1. The human heart needs accountability and supervision.
2. Sometimes it takes something drastic to wake us up.
3. God does not give up on His people. Even our messy struggle can glorify Him.
- Romans 8:28-39
More in Nehemiah: A People On Mission
November 22, 2009Nehemiah 12:1-47, “Thanksgiving, Process, and Providence”
November 15, 2009Nehemiah 11:1-36, “A People on Mission”
November 8, 2009Nehemiah 10:1-39, “Lives of Obligation”